I meet with a lot of clients and their families when the need for care arises and there’s always three top questions that are asked when moving to a residential aged care facility.

  • What do I need to do to enter a facility?
  • How do I find a service?
  • How will I fund it?

So let’s see if we can quickly run through the answers to those…

What do I need to do to enter?

Aprroval is the first step required and an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) member (ACAS in VIC) must conduct a health check to determine eligibility.

You can request  an assessment via myagedcare.gov.au or by calling 1800 200 422.  There can be a waiting period after approval for home care services.  And, if your circumstances change, another assessment may be required.

Finding a service

You are able to utilise aged care placement providers (such as ourselves) or you can visit My Aged Care to find a suitable facility.  Once assessed as eligible, you are able to visit various facilities to find their suitability or if wait times apply.  Some even like to arrange a couple of weeks respite care to ‘try before you buy.’

Organising finances

Usually, you are required to pay a Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) plus a basic daily fee (which is 85% of the basic single Age Pension.)  A means-tested fee may also apply depending on your income and assets.  If you’d like extra options, an additional services fee may also apply.  Getting accurate figures can be done with the assistance of an adviser qualified to provide Aged Care Advice.

Some are able to sell the family home to fully or partially fund the RAD, others choose to pay a daily amount in leiu of a lump sum payment.  This is still in addition to the daily fee and means tested fee.

As you can see, it can be a complex area and tricky to navigate.  We’d love to help!  Call 07 5593 0855 to arrange an appointment.

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com